Sunday, April 09, 2006

Corky's BBQ - Memphis, TN. VLOG!

Those of you familiar with Memphis style BBQ will be familiar with the name Corky's. It's probably the most popular place. We felt we needed to go to the original location to ge the most authentic version of this Q, so on our way through the area we just had to stop. The only other choice is the Rendevous House and I knew that would be a bit difficult to get to. So as you can see, we made it ok. This place is not as pretentious as I thought it would be. We got in easily enough.


I snagged a shot of both the wet and dry ribs. Those of you who enjoy your Q, feast your eyes on this:


The service was superb. Our waitress was very friendly and kept the food coming quickly. Everyone there seemed very happy to be there, so we had a good time.

I rate this place an 8 and I believe Mike agrees on that one. The Q seems a little bit "dolled" up with spices and ribs and for those of your only familiar with the plainer Carolina style, this is probably way to much additive for you. Where they go too far is the use of MSG. If you do not know what that is, check Google and look for allergies associated with that flavor enhancer. My wife and father are both allergic to this stuff and its not a pretty site when it hits. We made sure to order Cynthia something that would not hurt her on this round, but she thought the fact that she couldn't try one of the ribs sucked, and I agree. These places need to stop using this stuff. Good Q should need no flavor enhancers except all natural ingredients.

The beans were good, and the sweet tea was just right. The slaw had a little too much celery seed and not enough flavor for me. I didn't like it very much. I dinged them a half point because of the MSG and a half point for the sides, which is how I came up with an 8. Its still great tasting ribs. Even though Mike and I are not allergic to MSG, it affects us in other ways. When you eat it you tend to feel a little bloated or like a rock is in your stomach. This is the MSG effect. We did not eat enough to have this follow us all the way to Little Rock, but it did because of the MSG.

At any rate, we did another video blog for you to either enjoy or laugh at, whichever way you are looking at them.

No comments: